Learning how to get rid of silverfish in your home requires some aggressive action on your part. Because the silverfish bug prefers to live in wet moist humid areas you must eliminate areas in your home that provide that environment. A crucial part of how to get rid of silverfish in your home is to know how to make your home unpleasant for the silverfish bug.
You may be unaware of leaky faucets or sweaty pipes in your home. Unfortunately it doesn’t take much moisture to attract the silverfish bug. Be sure to check your roof and basement for leaks and moisture buildup. If you have moisture and humidity anywhere in your house the silverfish insect will find that attractive.
The following tips on how to get rid of silverfish in your home can be helpful in removing these annoying creatures.
Check around your home for areas where moisture or high humidity may exist.
- Laundry rooms –laundry rooms are humid and are attractive to the silverfish insect. Make sure that dryers vent to the outside of your home.
- Water heaters – check for leaky water heaters
- Sweaty pipes – sweaty pipes drip water and create humidity – sweaty pipes can be wrapped
- Leaking faucets – have you ever found a silverfish bug in your kitchen sink or bathtub?
- Moisture or leaks in bathrooms – high humidity in bathroom or others leaks can attract silverfish. One sign of high humidity in bathroom is black mold in shower and inside toilet bowl
- Check underneath sinks and cabinets for moisture and leaks
- Attics-check for leaks and humidity
- Basement – check for moisture, leaks, sweaty pipes mold growth can occur in damp basements as well
- Check outside for piles of leaves under which insects may live. It usually damp and humid under piles of leaves and other material that may be close to your house.
Because the silverfish bug prefers warm humid areas, try using a dehumidifier to lower humidity levels in your home. High levels of humidity and moisture not only attracts silverfish but is also helpful to the growth of harmful bacteria and fungi in your home. If you are interested in how to get rid of silverfish in your home naturally you may want to take a closer look at silverfish control guides on this site.
You may wish to read other articles on this site about how to get rid of silverfish in your home. As you can see there are products to kill, trap and repel the silverfish bug.